Friday, March 09, 2012

March 9th is here at last!

At last, the day has arrived and I'll be getting my Sci-Fi geek on today with both John Carter at the movies and Mass Effect 3 out on PS3 today!

After reading the original Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs (and I can't recommend the first three books of the series enough - A Princess Of Mars, The Gods Of Mars and Warlord Of Mars), and despite the lacklustre promotional campaign by Disney, I'm really looking forward to watching the film John Carter. Following the blogs of fans of the books has only stoked things further.

Whilst not expecting a true adaptation of the book, after all some things will obviously work better on the page and in your imagination than on the screen, I'm hoping that it's at least a tribute to the books. With the film in the hands of Andrew Stanton, if his previous directoral efforts are anything to go by - Finding Nemo and Wall-E and with him being a fan of the books too, then it will at least have a decent character-driven story filled with action and emotion!

Looking forward to some good old pulp action adventure with a sci-fi twist, just like the books.

Instead of posting an official trailer by Disney (which to be honest haven't really been all that good), here's a fan-made trailer from one of the blogs I've been following - The John Carter Files - which does a much better job of explaining the story and the Science Fiction legacy of Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'll post up my review later!

And second reason for more Sci-Fi geekiness on March 9th (at least in Europe, as it was released in the US on March 6) is Mass Effect 3. Although thanks to pre-ordering via Tesco, got it the day before European release, and I'm already 5 hours into the game! Squee!



I like my games with an engaging story and good gameplay, something more substantial than just running from point A to point B, blasting the crap out of everything. I really loved Mass Effect 2 which is right up there in my favourite all-time games on the PS3, and is currently the only game I've played again right after finishing it first time round. It's just a shame that ME1 was PC & Xbox only. Boo!

Still, following the promotion campaign for ME3, from the debut trailer at E3 through to the Launch trailer (below), it looks like the game will be even better than ever. And as it's the end of Commander Shepherd's story, the choices I made from the previous game should tie things up nicely.



Well, that's my weekend sorted. A veritable Sci-Fi geekgasm! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment