Friday, September 05, 2014

Book Review: 'Amazing Stories: Giant 35th Anniversary Issue (April 1961)'

Originally released in April 1961 and now re-released as the first in a series of collections from classic pulp Sci-fi magazine 'Amazing Stories', I enjoyed reading this anthology of "7 of the greatest SF stories ever written" as the blurb on the cover says.

From the first story; Ray Bradbury penned 'I, Rocket', to the last; the first Buck Rogers story 'Armageddon 2419 AD', it is a throwback to the days of the pulp Sci-fi magazines, and stories of visions of futures past.

I have read 'John Carter And The Giant Of Mars' by Edgar Rice Burroughs and 'Armageddon 2419 AD' by Philip F Nowlan before, so I knew what to expect from those. But with the others in this collection, I particularly enjoyed 'I, Rocket' by Ray Bradbury, about a rocket ship as told from the perspective of the rocket, 'Devolution' by Edmond Hamilton, with a kind of Lovecraftian tale of beings from another world. Eando Binder's 'I, Robot' is also a good read, a robotic take on the Frankenstein story.

If you like stories of fantastical Sci-fi, from the early works of classic Sci-fi authors, then you would do well to pick up and read this reissued anthology. Recommended.

****/5

No comments:

Post a Comment