Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Movie Review: 'Gravity'

by Doaly
In the month between the US release and the UK release, there was a ton of hype about 'Gravity'. Some calling it THE cinematic experience of the year, some calling it the most stunning looking film, some saying it is Sandra Bullock's virtuoso performance, a must see movie! After seeing it for myself, I kind of have to agree on all points.

We join veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) and rookie Ryan Stone (Bullock) on a repair mission to the Hubble Telescope, until the debris from a destroyed satellite causes chaos and so begins the thrill ride that is 'Gravity'.

And it is definitely a thrill ride of emotions, as we follow the two astronauts, with the focus on the rookie and how she copes with the frankly terrifying ordeal and her emotional journey of self-belief and survival. Throughout the 90 minutes, we're with her as she experiences the anxiety, the disorientation, the despair, the vulnerability, the danger, the hopelessness, the desperation, then the belief, hope, and relief! I was exhausted by the end! And I can positively say that I've not been as gripped throughout a movie as I have this one.

The VFX work is simply stunning. Not overblown or in your face, but giving you that sense of realism as if you've been watching a NASA video. I thought that the musical score by Steven Price worked really well too and helped to expand the emotional feel of Stone's ordeal.

They say it's best to experience it in 3D on the biggest screen you can, I went to The Giant Screen at the Millennium Point in Birmingham. At 72 foot wide, that's as big as screen as I'm going to get and was definitely well worth the experience as it felt as I was up there in orbit with them.

Overall, 'Gravity' is well worth the hype that has been thrown at it. Tense, emotional and a superb performance from the focal star, what more do you need!

***** out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment